Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Halfway Through the Terrible Two's

Waylon was 2 1/2 on August 23, 2008, and it seems like a good time to reflect on the insanity of raising a toddler. This will be a long post so I apologize in advance. I may just be wearing rose-colored glasses, but things actually seem to be getting a little easier with Waylon. I think there are a few reasons for this. First, we have figured out a few tricks to get him to comply. This usually includes allowing him to take a toy or "something special" when we try to get him to do something such as getting in the car, going upstairs for bathtime, or going to the potty. Likewise, I let him read books or play with toys while I brush his teeth rather than wrestling with him to get it done. I have also started getting down at his level and telling him to stop doing things with a few warnings, followed by a timeout after he continues the bad behavior a few more times. This trick came from Jenn, who got it from the Supernanny book. I think it works great, and Waylon definitely listens more to mommy the disciplinarian, and not so much to daddy the pushover.

Second, we definitely choose our battles. Its a tough trade off because people tell you that you cant let toddlers get away with anything so that they learn that you are in charge, making life easier post-toddlerhood. However, when I tried to discipline him for every little thing it was exhausting, and I ended up in too many battles to count with a very unhappy toddler. I've learned that allowing him to get away with the little stuff like pulling all of the cushions off the couch, makes him listen when I actually do get mad about the major issues. Third, I think Waylon has calmed down a bit. There are times when he can play by himself for long periods of time without insisting on our attention. He is still 100% boy and has tons of energy, but he is a little more focused and a little more independent with his non-stop play.

Although things have improved, we still have a lot of tough times and plenty of toddler meltdowns. This is especially true if we dont make sure he is fed. Like his dad, Waylon is a total bear if he is hungry! Another thing that often upsets him is potty training. We were trying to be laid back and wait until he was ready for the big boy potty, but he has absolutely no interest. I am now panicked because his best friend at school, Connor, is moving up to the big boy class and Waylon cant go with him until he is 100% potty trained. Despite his requests to go to the "big boy" class, he is adamant against using the potty when we ask. He is fine once we drag him into the potty, but getting him there is quite a challenge. Waylon's teachers, who work with toddlers all day, confirm that he is a VERY headstrong, stubborn kid, which makes me think he may never willingly potty train. He would much rather keep playing than stop and bother with the potty. We are currently debating our next move.

I am still in awe of the progress Waylon has made since he got tubes put in his ears last October. He is a total chatter box and has also become quite a sponge, taking in everything he hears. He can now recite his ABC's, spell his name (although he usually leaves out one letter), and sing almost all the lyrics to Bob Marley's song, "Three Little Birds." In fact, he sings all of the time although he seems to have inherited his parents lack of rhythm.

Waylon is one of the funniest people I have ever met, but unfortunately I am terrible at remembering his hilarious lines. With Aaron's help, I've included a few Waylonisms...
1. When Waylon refused to put on his sandals I told him, "OK, you'll have bare feet." He got very upset and said, "No bear feet, Waylon feet!"

2. Waylon loves taking off his clothes and being in his diaper. He especially likes having his shirt off when daddy has his off. He says, "I no wear shirt, I wear belly."

3. Waylon often leaves out pronouns and will say, "What are doing, daddy?" or "Where are going, mommy?"

4. He has started yelling, "I've got an idea, guys!!!!" He says this with such gusto you're sure he is going to say something brillaint, but he has yet to follow this statement with an actual idea. He seems to know that it gets a lot of laughs from mom and dad.

5. From his crib at night, "Daddy, I got a stinker!" when he needs his diaper changed. When we go to change the diaper he'll announce, "its foul, dude."

Although a lot of these photos show Waylon in a punky mood, he is often a very happy, silly, fun toddler.

Waylon got upset when I interrupted his Sunday morning newspaper reading.
"Go away, mommy" I get this a lot when fun daddy is around and Waylon is afraid I am going to make him do something awful like take a nap or stop eating treats.
Undressing after a long day at school.
"Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"
The whole world is against me!

Packed up with his "surfboard," yoga mat, and broom on his way to San Diego.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Picking battles -- may as well get used to it. I still figure out what to discipline on by thinking first, "do I really care, myself, or is it something that is outside the realm of 'good' behavior that one traditionally disciplines for?" So for stuff like building a fort all over the house, unrolling all the toilet paper to get to the roll to make a captain's telescope, eh, do I really care? No. They've got to pick up the fort at the end of the weekend, and we simply fold all the toilet paper up and use it anyway.

Potty training: BRIBERY. m & ms, money, what he wants. It will work. Besides what is a decent paying job if not bribery?