We had been making about a 60% effort at potty training with absolutely no success. His teachers encouraged us to bring him to school in underwear and they would start the process. I felt like that would be bad parenting, and I should at least initiate underwear over a weekend. However, Aaron and I had a big heart-to-heart and he felt strongly that Waylon would be more likely to follow directions at school than at home (does that give you some insight into our house, or what?!). On Monday, October 13 Waylon went to school in big boy underwear--and it worked! The trick is to take him to the potty every 30 minutes at first, and slowly increase the time. Having to be the one to clean up his mess is a great incentive to get him on the potty regularly. He has had very few accidents, but getting him on the potty at home can be a struggle. I am ashamed to say that we have resorted to candy corn as incentive. I also went to the $.99 store and got lots of poo poo presents, which he gets for sucessfully going in the potty.
Waylon is doing so well that he should be moving up to the big boy class at school in a few weeks. Please keep your fingers crossed that he keeps up the good work (and we figure out a way for him to go to the bathroom without the need for candy or toys).
It is hard to tell, but Waylon is showing off his Elmo underwear in this photo.


3 comments:
Way to go Waylon!!!! So, when does he start driving ;-)
Don't feel bad, you were potty trained at preschool. Miss Helen was your the teacher.
Woo-hoo, Waylon! What a big boy- we're so proud of you! Anna, you'll have to share all of your secrets with us.
Post a Comment