Friday, October 24, 2008

Fire Station Open House

Our local fire station had an open house on Saturday, October 11. This is the same fire station we drive by every afternoon, and we check to see if the trucks are sleeping or awake. If I try to drive home a different way, Waylon gets very upset. Needless to say, we had been looking forward to the open house for weeks so we got there early to make sure we didn't miss a thing. As usual, Waylon took awhile warming up, but once he did, he LOVED crawling around the fire trucks and seeing everything up close. We started off with a tour of the fire station from an Explorer Volunteer. I cant wait until Bubba is 14 and can be an Explorer! As you can see, Waylon was VERY shy at this point.
Waylon was observing for quite awhile, and would not get into the trucks or touch anything until mommy or daddy did it first, and then he would see how much fun we were having and ask to join the fun.
Waylon was inspired by the paramedics' equipment, and was trying to take Avalon's pulse.
Waylon and daddy were in awe when the firemen put the big ladder up.
Avalon wanted in on the fun. I was trying to get Waylon interested in sitting in the truck, but once I was there I couldn't get Avalon to let go. Seriously, that baby girl has a strong grip!
Family fun on the fire truck.
He definitely warmed up!
Although he tried out the jump seat, Waylon preferred to be up front, "driving." I was very impressed that the firemen let the kids crawl everywhere. Apparently the trucks are indestructable--even against toddler attacks.
Our future fire chief!
Waylon was not happy when daddy or mommy tried to remove him from his driver seat.
If you expand this photo you'll see Waylon at the healm.
Waylon loved the fire station and did not want to leave.

Again, the firemen were amazing, and very tolerant of our toddler's need to pull, push, and turn every part on the trucks.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How cute! We drive by a fire station everyday and talk about the fire trucks being awake or asleep too - how funny! Great minds think alike. Waylon looks happy as a clam sitting in the driver's seat.