Sunday, April 20, 2008

Easter in Mammoth

Almost a month ago (I am still sooooooo behind on blogging) we were crazy enough to pack up both kids and head to Mammoth for 6 days to visit and Nana and Tom, and for Aaron and I to get in some skiing. The trip is always long, but with a toddler and a newborn the 6-hour drive was 8 hours on the way there and 7 on the way home. We also had to borrow Uncle Matt's Denali in order to bring all of the gear required for two kids. Thank goodness for the car's DVD player, which saved our lives. Parenthood is full of times when you do and say things you thought you would never do or say. The DVD player is one of those things. However, its now our best friend during long car rides.

It was nice to visit Mammoth, and Waylon seemed to really love the snow. Aaron and I had fun skiing while Nana and Tom babysat. I especially loved the second day of skiing when I demo'ed new skis. What a difference! We actually kicked butt down the double diamond runs and were having fun. My new quest is to get a new pair of skis for next season.

Of course we were there for Easter so we had a visit from the Easter Bunny. The Bunny was thoughtful enough to wait until Daddy, Tom, and Steve (Aaron's friend) returned from their golf game in Bishop before distributing the eggs. Waylon had fun hunting for eggs in the snow, and especially enjoyed bubble time with daddy and Steve. Unfortunately, the sun was so bright that I did not get many good pictures.

Waylon's snow man. He loves the book Frosty the Snowman, and was determined to find the lively snowman running around town. Thanks to Nana's obsessive ebay shopping, Waylon was the best dressed kid in the snow!
Waylon and daddy enjoy the snow, including sledding the "hill" behind them, which I did not photograph.
Here is Waylon "sledding" at the Mammoth Village. Looks are deceiving, and he actually only sat on the disc and was too freaked out to actually sled. Maybe next year.
After begging, pleading, pacifiers, and finally dragging, Aaron and I got Waylon on the gondola to go up to the ski area. As usual, once he got used to it Waylon loved the gondola ride.
Aaron and daddy conquer Everest! (or at least the small snow pile at the base of the ski lifts)
The Mammoth Village center had a rather disturbing petting zoo set up, and Aaron took Waylon one day. Waylon LOVED it and especially enjoyed chasing the ducks. Nana and I took him on Easter morning and he seemed much less into it all with so many other kids running around.
Nana watches Avalon (and the Llamas) while I chased Waylon around trying to get pictures of him with the animals.
EASTER EGG HUNT!!!
The Easter Bunny brought Waylon eggs filled with goldfish crackers and stickers. He immediately figured out the sound the eggs made with crackers inside and insisted on opening those and eating them.
Waylon also enjoyed his bubbles from the E.B., and Steve and Aaron seemed to have fun helping him master the art of bubble blowing.
EGGS....GOLDFISH CRACKERS...STICKERS....YEAH!!!!
More snow play after the egg hunt was over.
Yes, Avalon was there too. She got into the Easter spirit when she wasn't eating, sleeping, or fussing. I think the altitude bothered her, and it took a lot of extra rocking and bouncing each night to keep her calm.

Waylon runs through the trees looking for Frosty the Snowman.

No comments: