Friday, December 09, 2011

Soccer 2011: The Fireballs

 Waylon started "real" soccer this year with a team of seven gritty players, and Coach Rob, who we fear did not own a watch.  Waylon was fairly good, but seemed to lose steam as he ran down the field.  After several blowout losses, the team pulled together for a victory and two ties.  The kids seemed to have fun no matter what, but the parents got super into it--including me.  I never thought I would be one of "those" parents that goes ballistic on the sidelines, but I totally was.  I went nuts every time Waylon had a break away, but he never quite scored a goal.  However, he had fun, and was voted "the Bruiser" by his coach, which I am going to take as a compliment.  Every time Waylon ran down the field, other kids went flying.  He didn't intentionally push them, but he was so much more dense, other kids just bounced off of him.  The one time they played a team with a large player, Waylon was so annoyed that the kid kept running next to him and pushing him.  I guess that is how all of his opponents felt.  I am actually excited for next season, and hope Waylon gets as into it as I am!
 Coach Rob giving the boys tips before the first game.  It took us awhile to convince Avalon that she was not going to play.  Next year, Sissy, next year.
 Avalon and Waylon with Matt Trevino, the only kid on the team that Waylon knew at the beginning of the season.  We were lucky and had a team with nice kids an wonderful parents.


 Waylon throwing the ball in.

 Half-time strategy (likely when they were being totally blown out by the opponent).
 Aaron and I took turns watching Avalon at the playground next to the soccer field.  Towards the end of the season I got so into the games that only Aaron took her.

No comments: