Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Big Changes for Waylon and Mommy

After six wonderful (well, mostly wonderful) months of maternity leave, it was finally time for me to return to work last week. As many of you know, I absolutely loved my job at the Children's Law Center, representing kids in foster care. However, after Waylon's arrival there was no way that I could continue to commute up to LA every day and after much soul-searching, Aaron and I decided that moving back to LA wasn't a good choice for us right now.

I am now doing family law in Newport Beach three days a week. I was definitely ready for some "grown-up" time outside of the house by the time I went back to work, and working part-time seems to give me a good balance. However, I am definitely struggling to get to speed in a new area of law, but also enjoying the challenges. If I am slower with the blog updates, now you'll know why.

It turns out that deciding to leave my old job and find a new one was only a small part of the issue because the next problem was finding daycare. We are sharing a nanny with a woman from my playgroup that is also working part time. I feel really lucky that we found Amber, a really great nanny who has experience with infants. She is a recent college grad from Colorado and most importantly Waylon really likes her, and so far things are going really well.

Here I am with Waylon before I head off to work to play with the grown ups for a few hours.
Waylon with his Nanny, Amber. Although he had a bit of stranger anxiety at first, now Waylon goes to her with a smile--which is a big relief for me when I head off to work.

No comments: