At Waylon's three year pediatrician check up we learned that he was 39 inches tall (90th percentile) and 39 pounds (97th percentile). Since Waylon is definitely a "strapping," healthy little boy, we are going to cut back to fat free milk and reduce his snacking. He is a great eater and will eat lots of healthy fruits and veggies, but he also loves snacks (especially Batman fruit snacks and granola bars) if he can get them.
The pediatrician also encouraged me to be very firm with Waylon and not negotiate so much. We use a combination of sticks (time outs) and carrots (TV, snacks, stories) to convince Waylon to do things such as go to the bathroom, get dressed, brush his teeth, etc... The doctor said that I just need to insist that he do things, and provide a few options (such as with clothes) and if he wont choose something then I choose for him and just get him dressed, or move forward with whatever I need him to do. We have become a little more firm, however I think Waylon also has matured a lot in the last few months and will listen to us more often (although we certainly have plenty of battles of the wills). We rarely give him timeouts and instead I just threaten to start counting, or I begin counting to three. I am not sure what he hates about counting, but most of the time it gets him to comply. The one thing I have learned to do is give Waylon warnings. I cant just tell Waylon that its time to do something. I have to give him a 2-minute warning. He usually tries to negotiate for more time, but since he's not good with numbers he sometimes negotiates himself down from "5 more minutes of play" to "2 more minutes." He is shocked when are willing to go with his 2 minute suggestion. Giving him warnings a few minutes before we are going to change an activity has been a huge help in keeping the tantrums down.
The most difficult area to follow the pediatrican's advice about being firm is with potty training. There is simply no way that I know of to force a child to go to the bathroom. Waylon has gotten much better at going when we prod him, but he almost never initiates potty time, and most mornings we deal with tantrums in order to get him to sit on the potty. He still wears a pull up at night, and sometimes needs a change of sheets even with the pull up. They do not allow pull ups during nap time at school and he was having lots of accidents, however those have reduced to about once per week. The doctor says that he is just not physically ready to hold it during sleep and there is nothing we can do to push him in that direction. For now we wash sheets a lot. Luckily we have not had too many issues with number two accidents. As part of his bedtime routine, Waylon loves to sit on the potty and have books read to him or read to himself. Even after he goes number two he will assure us that more is coming so he can sit and "read" all night. I swear he would sit there for hours if we'd let him. We usually just take the books away and instantly he tells us that he is done and then he's off to bed.
Speaking of bed, Waylon has a VERY long bedtime routine. He thinks of everything he can to extend it out. We have a rule that he gets one book outside of his crib (which is called a rocket ship since it has a tent on it) and one book inside of the rocket ship. That is followed by a "Waylon story", and then he usually negotiates for pat pats from mom or counting sheep from dad. After we walk out of the room he will sometimes talk to himself for 60 to 90 minutes, often calling to us, making up silly reasons for us to come back into the room. Although he is really old to still be in a crib I cannot imagine if he had a toddler bed and could roam free at night. He would be all over the place! I have no idea when we will move to the toddler bed, but since he isn't complaining about the crib I am not in any hurry to get him out.
Since it takes Waylon a long time to get to sleep at night, he is often tired and very cranky in the morning. He is definitely NOT a morning person. I am embarassed to admit how often he goes to school in his PJ's because its not worth the fight, and dont even think about trying to brush his teeth or wet down and brush his crazy, bed-hed hair. I always insist on the teeth being brushed, but he usually goes to school with hair like a homeless person. Aaron thinks its cute, but I am totally humiliated. However, I pick my battles and the tears and trauma aren't worth it to make his hair look decent.
In addition to his love of pajamas, Waylon is quite a recluse. He loves to play at home, and has to be dragged to the park or on outings. Once he is out and about he has fun, but getting him out of the house is tough. We have nick named him Howard Hughes because he loves to be in his PJ's, wont brush his hair, and wants to stay at home. He would also watch TV all day long if we would let him (Fireman Sam, Little People, Bob the Builder, and anything on the Sprout channel). I know I am being harsh, but he really does have two very different personalities. He can be very shy and get overwhelmed in public, especially with a lot of people around, but at home he is ultra-talkative, active, and loves to joke and act silly. When we are around most other people he will hide behind us or bury his face in our neck until he warms up. Not exactly what you'd expect from our child, but its actually nice because its one of the few times that he will snuggle.
Last but not least is Waylon's role as big brother. He constantly shocks us at how well he does with Avalon. He genuinely loves and cares about her, and usually treats her very well. However he HATES sharing toys, and always takes away any toy she is playing with. Its very interesting because at school and playgroup I am always impressed with his sharing skills, but with his baby sister he freaks out, and hates to let her share. I know its normal, but I still feel bad for Avalon when she is happily playing with a toy that Waylon hasn't looked at in months, and he rips it out of her hands. I feel like I am her toy-guard, always taking the toys back for her. Even though she doesn't usually care, I want him to learn to share.
Waylon is still the funniest person I know and is such a joy. I am always worried about my kids getting older and no longer being babies, but its truly been a joy to watch him mature from the terrible twos to a silly, loving little boy. Dont get me wrong, we still have MANY tough times, but its much better than last year at this time. Please keep your fingers crossed that I haven't jinxed myself by writing all of this.
One of the hardest things about blog updates these days is getting decent pictures of Waylon. Its better to capture his essence on video because he is usually running, talking, laughing, telling stories, or dancing around. When I pull out the camera he often hides, as you see above. I have a lot of photos of him hiding behind his hands.
He didn't realize I was still there and I sort of got a photo!
Bubba with Louise. He really loves this dog even though she doesn't give the kids the time of day. Whenever Aaron and I decide its time to say goodbye to our very old beagle with a bad back, Waylon will spontaneously tell us how much he loves her. When we mention that she will go to heaven with Thelma, he says that will not happen for a long time. Our sweet little boy.



No comments:
Post a Comment