Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Baby Proofing

About two weeks ago Waylon's "curiosity" became too much for us and we had to call in a professional baby proofing company--Boo Boo Busters. I remember several years ago hearing a co-worker talk about paying someone to baby proof, which I thought was totally bourgeois. After trying to dog-proof several cabinets, I could not imagine doing our entire house. I have to say, it was worth every penny. My new best friend, Jeff, came in and baby proofed every cabinet, toilet, and even some doors and the bathtub in less than two hours. I have no doubt it would have taken several days and many fights to get it done ourselves. I am confident that whatever we spent for Jeff was saved in future marital counseling costs. However, its hard to believe that I asked someone to come in and turn my home into a maze of locks and latches that drive me bonkers. If I think I'm bummed, you can imagine poor Waylon. He was just getting the hang of opening drawers filled with sharp objects when Jeff came and ruined his fun.
The first night after "the change." Waylon is not stoked that he can no longer plunder in our kitched drawers.
He was not satisfied with trying one drawer, he had to try all of them to see if he could break into at least one.
Sorry bubba, the toilet is no longer your personal splashing pond.
Ah Ha! He is very excited to find one part of the house that's not baby proofed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hints from Heloise: This may satisfy your future ARctic explorer: leave a bottom or other reachable drawer open-able and fill it with things he can safely play with, like bowls, pots, wooden spoons, his baby plates and flatware, safe cookie cutters, etc.

When we re-did our kitchen we purposely made the bottom drawer the kids' drawer, with their cups, plates, etc which also means they can get their own plates and bowls when they want something to eat (and yes, he'll be there soon!)

Jenn said...

The last picture looks like he's saying, "What mom? I didn't do that." Too cute...