Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Swim Lessons

Grandma and Grandpa Davis gave Waylon swim lessons as his 4th birthday gift (note to grandparents: this is an awesome gift!). The kids have been in lessons twice per week since early March, and their progress has been amazing. Well, Waylon's progress has been fabulous. Our little daredevil, Avalon, loves to float and be in the water, but she has absolutely no fear of the water--in a very scary way.

We waited a long time to start lessons since we needed special plugs for the kids' ears due to their ear tubes. I also did not want to deal with the drama since Waylon refused to even put his face into the water. The good news is that they were able to be in lessons together, and Waylon is too young to be embarassed that he started classes with his baby sister. However, he has progressed far more than her, which is understandable. He is getting close to being able to take a breath on his own, and I am MUCH more calm when he is playing in the water. However, that calm is cancelled out by the heart attacks I have every time Avalon gets near the water. Even her instructor lectures her about "being such a two year old." I think we will have to wait for her to mature before she can be close to water safe.

As you can see from the photos, much of our time is spent at Waterbabies swim school, and on the weekend we are at our neighborhood pool "practicing." I love swimming, and I cannot wait until the kids are able to swim on their own. I must say that swim classes are my favorite since they are wiped out afterwards, eat well, and usually crash early.







Happy Face! They dive for rings at the end of the class, and the teacher tells them to do a "happy face" when they come up.
Happy face girl!



Underwater Photos
A few weeks ago a professional photographer showed up at their lessons with his underwater camera. So much fun to see what the kids look like underwater!!!











1 comment:

Patty McMorrow said...

Your daughter is so you!! You only wanted dresses for your birthday and you were fearless in the water. You knew you would float or someone would help you. Fred threw you in the air to dive in the water so rough that a women wanted to know if you were still alive. Fearless can be scary but fun, enjoy..